A Tasty Pre-workout Apple Smoothie for Athletes
If you are an athlete or a fitness enthusiast then a healthy and delicious breakfast option to consider is this Apple Smoothie. It is loaded with fall flavours and as many as 6 ingredients. Making this low calories weight loss drink takes just 5 minutes.
What is a pre-workout Apple Smoothie?
An Apple Smoothie meant to be taken before you start your workout is one that is loaded with fall flavours, and is comforting, creamy, and extra thick. This refreshing drink has low calories and is very nutritious. It is made by using yoghurt, oats, frozen banana, and juicy apples.
The best apples are usually available in the season of autumn. But this does not mean that you cannot make the best Apple pre-workout smoothies any time you want. These days, you can find good apples at any time of the year.
A good example of an ideal pre-workout apple smoothie for athletes is the Cinnamon Spiced Apple Smoothie. It is filling, quick, nutritious, and tasty — just what an active man or woman needs for their workout. And the best part of it is that you can simply add all the ingredients into a blender and blend them until you get a creamy smoothie. This is also a lifesaver for the days when you have no time to cook breakfast.
If you want to fill filled for longer periods of time, then you can add oats into your pre-workout Apple smoothie.
You can also modify your Apple Pre-workout smoothie with more of Bananas.
Ingredients that can be found inside a preworkout Apple Smoothie
We now know just how yummy, filling, creamy, and healthy that a preworkout Apple smoothie can be. Let us look at the ingredients that go into this drink.
Your pantry would already have most of the ingredients which comprise of cinnamon powder, honey, milk, yoghurt, instant oats, banana, and, of course, apples.
Honey — honey can be added for that little extra sweetness. However, if you want, you can substitute it with Maple Syrup, Sugar, or Dates. If you prefer just the subtle sweetness of the bananas then you can avoid adding honey completely.
Cinnamon Powder — this ingredient would add a beautiful taste to your pre-workout apple smoothie. But it is optional. And for a different flavour, you can choose to add in cardamom powder.
Fruits — this smoothie has one star ingredient: apples. Indian, Fuji, Gala, or Honeycrisp apples are the best to use because they are juicy and sweet. Do not make use of any apples that are sour and tart.
In order to add some more sweetness and that creamy texture add in some banana. To get a super creamy pre-workout apple smoothie consider freezing your banana for a couple of hours.
You can substitute yoghurt and milk with plant-based yogurt and milk options if you want to create a preworkout smoothie that is dairy-free.
And if you like that little hint of vanilla in your smoothies, then add a little vanilla extract.
How a pre-workout Apple Smoothie is made
· A blender is used to collect all the ingredients listed above.
· You now blend and don’t stop until the mixture is very smooth.
· Serve immediately you have poured out the mixture in your serving bowl or glasses.
FAQ about Preworkout Apple Smoothies
Can this smoothie be made using Frozen Apples? Yes. If you want a creamy and nice texture then use frozen apples. If you cannot find fresh apples where you stay, then freezing them is a great way to preserve apples.
Can Frozen Apple Sauce be used to make this smoothie? Yes. Instead of apples, you can use apple sauce to make this smoothie. And to make a creamy smoothie, simply freeze the sauce in ice cube trays and use the cubes directly.
Should the Apples be peeled in order to make this smoothie? What you prefer would determine how you use the apples. You can keep the peel of the apples if you do not mind the coarse texture in your pre-workout apple smoothie. But if you want a smooth and creamy texture then peel the apples. However, it is recommended that you don’t peel the apples if your goal is to retain all of its necessary nutrients.
The peels would be easily taken care of if you make use of a heavy-duty blender. You can consider peeling them if your blender is not heavy duty.
Variations of the Apple Smoothie
If you want to have a change of taste in your apple cinnamon smoothie recipe, then you can consider the following list of ingredients:
· Veggies like cucumber, avocado, and carrot.
· Coconut water or orange juice.
· Greens such as Spinach, Kale. And so on.
· Fruits such as raspberry, cranberry, cherry, watermelon, mango kiwi, pineapple, strawberry, and so on.
· Peanut butter, protein powder, caramel syrup, and so on can also be added to it. When you ad in some peanut butter, your pre-workout apple smoothie would become sweeter and have a different flavour. To get an Apple Pie flavour, you can also add apple spice mix instead of cinnamon.
· Smoothie Bowl — make the smoothie a little thick and then add it in the bowl and then you top it with your favorite toppings like dry fruits, nut butter, nuts, seeds, coconut flakes, granola, chopped fruits, and so on.
· Without Banana — to make this smoothie without bananas, add some 1 or 2 pitted dates instead.
· Vegan — you can substitute milk and yogurt with almond milk if you want a vegan option. You can even make use of coconut yoghurt or coconut milk to make this smoothie. Also, instead of honey you can just add sugar.
· Protein powder — if you are making a perfect pre-workout meal then you cannot fail not to add protein powder to this smoothie.
To give it an extra texture, you can use some of our favourite toppings to top this Apple Banana Smoothie. Here are some of our preferred choices:
· Seeds — pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds, sunflower seeds.
· Chopped Nuts like walnuts and almonds.
· Ground Cinnamon or Apple Spice Mix.
· Chopped Apples
· Peanut Butter or Almond Butter
· Simple Granola or Apple Cinnamon Granola.
Suggestions for storage
It is better to take your preworkout apple banana smoothie when it is still fresh. Ensure that you drink up within one or two days any leftovers.
This Apple Smoothie can be frozen.
All that had to be done is to blend the smoothie and then pour it out into Mason jars that are safe for use in freezers and then freeze your smoothie.
And if you have plans for taking a cinnamon spiced apple smoothie once more, simple place the jar of smoothie into the fridge and get it defrosted all through the night.
If you prefer to skip making this Apple Smoothie yourself and just taking a pre-workout supplement that is available today, then check out this one. It is available in three awesome flavours of Blue Raspberry, Fruit Punch, and Green Apple.
And for more details on awesome health meals, always visit our website here.
Disclaimer: Please note that I am not a medical expert. As such, the views I have expressed above should not be taken as professional medical advice. They are simply my own opinions of what has worked for me in my on-going journey to become healthy and fit. Always consult your doctor. Also, you should assume that some of the links contained in my article are affiliate links. This means that if you do choose to purchase any of my recommendations I would be compensated by the affiliate network at no extra cost to you. Thank you.